Tuesday, July 26, 2005

The Ginsburg Precedent

At her 1993 confirmation hearing, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, invoking her ethical obligation as a judge to maintain both the fact and the appearance of impartiality, steadfastly declined to answer any questions about her current views on issues that might come before the Court.

This was despite her having worked for the ACLU, and having fought to lower the age of consent to 12. Yet, the Senate, out of respect for the President of the United States & its citizens, voted to confirm her 96-3. Her refusal to answer pertinent questions did not lead to her being harassed by any Senators, including Orrin Hatch, a Republican. She was nominated on the 14 the of July 1993, & confirmed on the 3rd of August 1993.

Let us hope the Senate behaves in a similar fashion this time also. This is a golden opportunity for the Democrats to regain their credibility.

Here is a petition to Sen. Chuck Schumer reminding him of the Ginsburg precedent & asking that it be reciprocated. Sen Dick Durbin has urged Judge Roberts to answer all questions asked. He cited, what he felt was, Judge Robert's refusal to fully answer the questions of the Senate, as the reason for voting against the nomination of Judge Roberts to an Appeals Court position.

HAT TIP: Is It Just Me

Comments:
After "signing" the petition, I added on, truthfully, that I'm moving home to NY in less than two months and that I'll be "seeing" Chuck at the polls.
What can I say, I just can't help being me.
:)
 
The Democrats are behaving badly already. They are determined to find reasons not to elect Judge Roberts. Roberts deserves a fair hearing and a fair vote. The Democrats prefer a lynching.
 
Hi Seth welcome to my blog, and it'll be my pleasure to welcome you back to NY. I'm sure Chuck lost his lunch reading this petition.
 
Nice Blog!!!   I thought I'd tell you about a site that will let give you places where
you can make extra cash! I made over $800 last month. Not bad for not doing much. Just put in your
zip code and up will pop up a list of places that are available. I live in a small area and found quite
a few. MAKE MONEY NOW
 
Enjoyed a lot! Cheap inkjet ink cartridges Cocoa florida doctor malpractice records
 
You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it film editing schools
 
That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »
 
Nice dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?