Sunday, June 19, 2005

City Life

What makes a city a city: not a "cool, creative class", argues urban expert Joel Kotkin. "No urban civilization has flourished long without middle-class families", and the way to keep them is by building more schools & churches & providing jobs.

His ideas run counter to the orthodox theories of urban life, as he argues that even today, cities must be scared places. Not only do religious leaders give order to city life, but, "they also help[]groups of people who were not related learn how to get along together".

As evidence for his theory he points to the success of cities like Phoenix, AZ & Charlotte, NC versus the state of cities like Cleveland, which have taken the "hip" approach: "They did the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, they built lofts, they created this kind of new and improved downtown ... [and] what's the result? Poorest city in America, highest percentage of poverty in the country." Hip cities suffer from being ephemeral cities, places where you live for the time being without a true sense on belonging or identification. Food for thought to all those interested in true urban revival. Read the entire article.

Comments:
Hi Blogger. Your enlightenment on this post makes me smile. I am excited to keep coming across more and more people who have a connection to Phoenix like I have. Someone who could see the beauty and the shadows of a city, gets some more credits from my side. I am glad when reading your post. Thanks. It has broadened my mind, which is helpful in my search on more info on phoenix theater. I have enjoyed reading your post.
 
Hello there Blogger. Your comments on this post make sense.! I am excited to keep coming across more and more people who have a connection to Phoenix like I have. Someone who could see the beauty and the shadows of a city, gets some more credits from my side. I am glad when reading your post. Thanks. It has broadened my mind, which is helpful in my search on more info on phoenix college. I have enjoyed reading your post.
 
Enjoyed a lot! »
 
Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP »
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?